Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Vacation of a Lifetime - Part One

There are a few ways that you can have the vacation of a lifetime. One would be to go to an exotic place that you've never been (maybe you'd always dreamed of going there) and having an amazing time. Some of my friends have gone to Europe, Hawaii, the Caribbean... you get my point. Another would be to get the family together and go to Disneyworld. Sorry to those out there who don't believe in the magic of Disney, but I do. One of my most memorable vacations to date was going to Disneyworld with my family and seeing my little cousins' eyes light up at each new character, ride, shop, etc. that they would see.

My 2014 vacation, and the one I'm going to spend the next two days writing about (it was THAT amazing!), was neither of these. In fact, if I put my vacation at its core up next to the two I previously mentioned, I'd probably get laughed at. My wife and I spent the better part of June in the great state of Ohio, the Heart of it All!

After spending the first few days at my in-laws, I finally got back to Fort Loramie, my hometown. I could probably spend another blog talking about the impact this little town has had on my life. Most days I'm glad I got out, but only because my career isn't really possible there. It was great to be home, and I was fortunate enough to get together with some of my high school buddies and it was like nothing had changed. I am proud to call Fort Loramie my hometown, and always will.

But the reason this vacation was so amazing was revealed shortly after I got to my parent's house. Included in my birthday card was a pass to the Cleveland Indians' Hall of Fame luncheon the next Saturday. This was amazing for multiple reasons. 1) The 2014 Indians' HOF inductee was Omar Vizquel, my favorite player of all time. 2) The other guests at the luncheon included Kenny Lofton, Sandy Alomar Jr., Carlos Baerga, and Charles Nagy. These men probably had the most influence on my Cleveland fandom other than my dad. 3) My dad and my sister were coming too.
I knew my dad had bought us tickets to the game that day before I came home, but this extra gift was unbelievable. The Tribe Hall of Famers sat and talked about each other, the 90's teams, and just about everything under the sun for nearly two hours, and I could have spent another 10 just listening. The outcome of the game that evening really didn't matter to me after that experience, which is a good thing because the Indians lost in extra innings.


(This was my view for the whole luncheon. Not too shabby.)


This memory alone would have made for an ultimate dream vacation, but it would get a little bit better in an unexpected way soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment