Saturday, October 27, 2012

RIP Uncle Guy


Everyone has a certain person who has a lasting impact on his or her life. They may be people God simply gave to us (family) or people we choose (friends), but they are ALL in our lives for a reason. We learn things about life, loss, fear, and hope from these people, and its what takes people from the “acquaintance” level to being “loved ones.” Guy Parrot was one of those people. Early Saturday morning, he lost his battle with cancer, a family lost a loved one, the world lost a great man, and Heaven gained the best homemade ice cream ever.

My Grandpa Ludlow passed away in 1979. That’s nine years before I was born. Even with only one biological grandfather to help teach me lessons the way only grandpas can, I never felt like it was an issue. Why? Because of my Uncle Guy. Uncle Guy traveled to my baseball games, cheering loudly for me and my teammates, though he never actually knew of them. He’d stop over for a birthday party, come watch my sister’s basketball games, and he always loved an opportunity to make some homemade sweets. Uncle Guy loved my sister and I like we were his own grandchildren, and that’s something that I’ll never, ever forget.

Growing up, he always had this uncanny ability to make me laugh when he called our house. Sometimes he’d call to talk to my dad, but end up having a conversation with my sister or me and then completely forget what he was calling for in the first place! He always cared so much for how we were doing, and we were just his great-nephew and niece.

When Kenleigh and I were in high school, Uncle Guy, Aunt Lil and Grandma Ludlow came over on a school night to make all sorts of sweets with us. Uncle Guy had been wanting to come over for years to do it, and we finally got the chance. I never would have imagined that I could have had so much fun! We made hard tack candy, peanut brittle, and of course, the most amazing candy buckeyes that I’ve ever tasted. That night was filled with so much love and even more laughter that I will no doubt remember it for as long as I live.

Of course I have to mention the homemade ice cream in a little more detail. I can’t even specifically recall all the times we had it when we were visiting with him, but boy, do I remember how much better it is than any ice cream ever. No Faulkner family reunion was complete without it. No matter what place we go to as a family (and the Ludlows go to a LOT of ice cream places), no place ever compares to Uncle Guy’s homemade ice cream.

The last time I saw Uncle Guy was at my wedding in June, and I would trade anything to have been able to say a proper goodbye. I consider myself blessed beyond words that God put such an amazing man in my life. My hope is that he knew that too. My other hope is that he has some of his ice cream waiting for me when I get to Heaven one day.

We’ll all miss his stories, jokes, candy, ice cream, and uncanny ability to make us smile. But most of all, we’ll miss him. Rest in peace Uncle Guy. We love you.

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Kyler. Uncle Guy and Andrew shared a birthday--it's been their standing thing to call each other on that day & each pretend to be the other one, Uncle Guy enjoying that little joke as much (if not more) than Andrew! We had just seen Uncle Guy and Aunt Lil with the square dancers at the Labor Day festival, Uncle Guy looking fantastic, sweeping the dance floor of puddles & teasing the boys (and them teasing him right back). Andrew was both surprised and devastated to learn that Uncle Guy had been sick. We are all going to miss him so much.

    ReplyDelete